Sunday, October 7, 2007

Rustic Apple/Blueberry Pie

The last week of September was a busy one for us. John had to make another trip to CA (that's 8 so far, plus 1 to Boston this year). So, . . . what's a mom to do? Answer . . . bake a pie, of course.

My MOMS Club had a baked apple pie contest. So, I made one. However, I always end up splitting my crust. So, I thought I'd try to be *different* . . . it worked! My pie won by one vote. The only thing I won was bragging rights (how am I doing?--LOL). However, I got a case of the guilts for not having the recipe to share with the Club (I'd thrown it together). Soooo, I sat down and tried to remember how I made my pie. Here's the recipe. I hope you like it!









Rustic Apple/Blueberry Pie

2 flat/rolled pie crusts *
1 egg white beaten (or egg substitute) *
Mix of 2 tsp sugar & 1 tsp cinnamon
3 Granny Smith apples peeled & sliced
1 cup blueberries
1 Tblsp lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 Tblsp cornstarch
1 1/2 tsp each of cinnamon & allspice

DIRECTIONS
Heat oven to 425°F.

Line a pizza pan/large cookie sheet with foil and lightly grease. Lay down one pie crust, brush with egg white/substitute, and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mix. Place the other crust on top and lightly press down all over to seal crusts together.

Mix apple slices & blueberries with lemon juice to coat. In a separate bowl, mix sugar, brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon & allspice. Add sugar mixture to apples/blueberries and toss to coat well. Pour into a pile into the middle of the crust, leaving about 2+ inches of crust all around. Pull edges of crust over the apples/blueberries and pleat as needed--pinching pleats to hold. Brush crust with egg white/substitute and sprinkle with sugar.

Bake for 25-30 minutes until crust is brown.

* I used Pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts & Egg Beaters.

3 comments:

Julie said...

That pie was so yummy! I can't believe how simple it was to make. I may have to try that for Thanksgiving, I'm not really a fan of pumpkin pie ;)

Perrin said...

Wish I was at that event to taste the pies. It looks yummy.

Brenda said...

Congratulations on your big win! They all look yummy! :o)